Re: TR6 U-Joint Failure-Update

To: "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 U-Joint Failure-Update
From: "Steven Altomare" <gtg124h@mail.gatech.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:03:15 -0500
Hey all,

Well, my dad came down on Friday to tow the car back from my place in
Savannah to my parents place near Atlanta.

We got the car all back together and she drives just fine.  I've updated
the webpage, http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg124h/trdamage.html, with
some more pictures to show what the damaged parts looked like.

Our best guess is that something in the bearing in the u-joint failed,
causing the spider to vibrate and move around within the bearing cup,
which then lead to breaking the differential flange.

We're still unsure why it broke in the first place.  The u-joint was
fairly new (less than 3 years old probably).

Steven