Re: Air Fuel Monitor

To: "Adam C Beasley" <adam@adambeasley.com>,
Subject: Re: Air Fuel Monitor
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 11:41:06 -0500
> I'm thinking about installing an Air/Fuel sensor in my TR6.
> should I put the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold or on the
> exhaust pipe?  Should I try to install two or would one suffice?

Two is ideal especially for the 72-76 cars, and since they're about $25 for
generic units why not just go with two.  Since I just installed two O2
sensor bungs for my TR6, I'll tell you what I did (largely based on Nelson
Riedel's write-up).  The position I chose was midway down the manifold
downpipe, pretty much in the middle of the curve.  One O2 sensor per tube.

I am using two $45 O2 gauges that I got from Summit Racing, Cyberdyne brand
or some name that is just as cheesy sounding.  I picked up two O2 sensors at
Autozone for a mid -1980s Toyota, $25 each.

The advantage of putting the O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold is that it
gets up to operating temperature much more quickly.  This helps give more
accurate readings at idle, especially just after a cold start up.  But the
manifold is cast iron, I figured the trouble of welding a mild steel bung to
cast iron was just worth it.  The downpipe is relatively easy to modify and
weld the bung to, and it is not so far away from the exhaust ports that warm
up time would be drastically reduced.

If you have a TriumphTune header (the one available in the US), you can
install the O2 bungs a few inches after the first set of collectors.  I did
this on a TT header a customer bought about 6 months ago and the sensors
seem to work well in this position.

So the downpipe with the sensors is now laying on my workbench waiting to go
back in the car...

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke