Re: Funky Timing Issues Revisited

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Funky Timing Issues Revisited
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:43:02 -0800
Ashford---Damper rubber that has detached from its steel hub has been
noted in Kastner's new book. He wrote of his solution for this, if you
need it.

Can you twist this pulley with your hand without the engine moving?
(Watch for rotor movement)

Having this 'slippage' should not have had any effect on the original
problem..."the car did not want to start..."  At this time you would
need to find true TDC and see  how this lines up with your timing pulley
mark. Without engine dissassembly, but with some work, you can do this
thru #1 sparkplug hole, using a special (home-made) tool.
You can also find TDC by noting when #6 intake and exhaust valves are
"on the rock", assuming your cam was timed this way.

Since you had to move the distributor as far as you did to get the
engine to run, something is, or was, way off.

Dick

Ashford wrote:
Funky Timing Issues Revisited
A bit back I relayed my issue of what would cause my car's timing to be
dramatically off, barring some sort of major malfunction.

*Basically my car didn't want to start,

I put timing light on it, and the timing marks were so far off that I
had to take the distributor out, put the car at TDC and then reset the
timing. No one was quite sure what could have caused such a malady,
including myself, although I never put it beyond my abilities to screw
something up royally.
Well today, I believe I may have stumbled upon the issue, which not only
makes a bit of sense, but would also account for some other problems. So
here is my diagnosis: the harmonic balancer is rotating or slipping at
high rpm. This would account for why the timing would "appear" to be
off. My then resetting the timing without determining TDC would account
for the somewhat rough running engine. Basically I was using a false
indicator to set the timing.
When I then put the engine at TDC and set the timing, everything was
fine as long as I didn't go back and put a timing light on things since
it would show being off again.
Also the brake issue was resolved by getting my brake booster rebuild by
Partco - www.partcoautomotive.com <http://www.partcoautomotive.com/> .
I'd highly recommend them if you've got a problem with your brake
booster.
I guess my question would be how many of you have run into this issue
where the two parts of the harmonic balancer start to slip due to age? I
have heard from one racer, Bling-Bling Munson that it's not uncommon for
engines turning at 6,000 rpm, but my motor doesn't run at that rpm yet.
TIA,
R. Ashford Little II
'70 TR6 <http://www.ralittle2.com/>