Where did the oil go?

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Where did the oil go?
From: Aledotr6@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:56:09 -0500
I feel like I've been bombing the list lately, but I'm at the point in the
rebuild where a lot of things can be done simultaneously. Hope I'm not "wearing
out my welcome".

Anyway, my question for today is this. How much oil is retained by the oil
passages and filter (spin on) and never drains back to the sump? The reason I
ask is because I intentionally overfilled the sump on my rebuilt engine to help
prime the pump. Before I turned over the engine to see if I could get oil
pressure (which I did pretty quickly) the oil level was about a quarter inch
above the high "OK" level. This morning I checked the oil level and it was
exactly in the middle of the "OK" hash marks. Not sure how much oil that
translates into, but I was not expecting it to drop that much.

Thanks,

Bud Trussell