Re: Front suspension shims

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Front suspension shims
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:04:36 -0800
John---Having shims the way you found it would change the caster, as
well as camber on this side. It's not difficult go back in to do this
After the engine is in, so I would sort this out then. Likely there is a
bent suspension part that someone has (tried to) compensated for.  Check
the Bentley, or other manual on how to go about this. If there is an
obvious 'wrinkle' in one or more of the arms on this side, then get the
replacement parts on hand for when the time comes.

Unusual tire wear patterns and different handling characteristics from
(hard) turning left vs. right might  provide clues as to why you found
the shims as you did.

Dick

John wrote:
Subject: Front suspension shims
Hi everyone,   I have the engine out and I'm doing front suspension
work while its all easy to get to. I noticed on the right front wheel
there is 1 shim, front and back, on the lower fulcrum brackets, that
adjust camber. On the left front wheel, there's 3 shims on the back and
none on the front.

 Is there ever a situation where this would be correct?

Seems wrong to me. Any advice would be appreciated.   Thanks, John
Mitchell   76 TR6 Shelton, CT