brake issues

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: brake issues
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:59:08 EST
Hi all,
I'll try to keep it short...Last season the brake booster was making a
"wheee" sound when I stepped on the brakes.  It was intermittant, and
occasionally
the pedal would get really hard, and the front brakes would drag.  On the last
drive of the season, my brakes (all 4 wheels) locked up on a long trip.  It
would seem they had been  dragging hard for a while because the front pads were
basically gone, and the rotors were damaged.  Again the problem with the
brakes locking up was intermittant, as the brake system "released" on its own
after
a rest and I  was able to make it home without a problem.  When I got around
to working on the car I tried to reproduce the "locking up" problem in a
parking lot, I hit the brakes hard and heard a "pow" from under the hood.  I
figured somehow the booster finally quit.  Now I'm in the process of
overhauling
everything on the car.  I just installed new rotors, pads, I rebuilt both
calipers, put on new hoses everywhere, and a NEW booster from BPNW.  the master
was
new last year and it looks fine.  My problem?  I can't seem to firm up the
pedal.  I've bled the brakes every way I know how, and the pedal still goes to
the
floor on the first couple of pushes.  Eventually the pedal gets a little
firm, but is not even close to right.  Also, is air supposed to escape from the
bypass valve on the booster when the pedal is pushed?  I don't have the motor
in
the car, and the vaccum hose is not connected to anything.  If  I plug the
hose the escaping air sound disappears.  Maybe this is fine, I just don't
remember.  Also, one of the caliper pistons does not retract 100% into the
cylinder
like the rest.  The result is one pad drags a little, as the rotor is not
centralized between the pads.  Will this correct itself in time?
Thanks
Joe Davis