RE: Lifting the tub with an engine hoist

To: "Mike D'Ambrogia" <miked@jamagination.com>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Lifting the tub with an engine hoist
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:06:04 -0800
        Mike:

        I just went through this. While having a hoist works just fine,
it is also possible to lift the tub with just one helper if you removed
the doors and wings. It is unwieldy, but with some grunting 2 people can
do it. It would save you the need to attach eyebolts, although that
seems like an easy thing to do.
        You MUST, however, brace the door openings as the tub is not
strong enough to withstand this with the doors off. And leaving the
doors on adds weight that makes it that much more difficult to manhandle
the tub. I used 3/4" electrical conduit, which I bolted to the soft top
mounts and the windscreen mounting locations. It worked quite well. Here
is a picture:
http://home.comcast.net/~v.navarrette/images/DoorBrace.bmp.
        I used grade 8 (probably overkill) 1/4" UNF bolts to attach it.

        Cheers,

        Vance
Cogito Ergo Zoom
(I think, therefore I go fast)