RE: Brake Servo

To: "Bob Rothstein" <rgrothstein@yahoo.com>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Brake Servo
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:00:36 -0800
        Bob:

        I purchased a rebuilt TR6 servo from British Auto works for
$160. My old one
had obviously swallowed a major dose of brake fluid at some point in
it's past, and
it's long travel before anything would happen was unsettling. There was
no core
charge - so I still have my old one, peeling paint and all. The BAW
rebuild did
not include the push rod, non-return valve or the rubber gaiter.
        By the way, BAW can rebuild your servo if you wish, although
they employ
a local brake rebuilding service to do the actual rebuilding. If you can
deal directly
with a rebuilder, you may well save a few bucks.
        You can buy the rebuild kit and do it yourself, but there is a
very strong spring
inside under considerable tension, so it can be hazardous to your health
if you don't
know what you are doing. Also, the servo is "crimped" together, so you
will need
special tools to open it, and to close it. Too daunting for me, so I
wimped out. The
rebuild kit is also surprisingly expensive, just over $100 as I recall -
so BAW
was pretty darned reasonable for the rebuild. Moss gets over $400 for a
new one. Yikes!
        Apple hydraulics rebuilds master cylinders, etc. They might also
rebuild the
servos - I have not checked and so cannot say with certainty.

        Cheers,

        Vance
Cogito Ergo Zoom
(I think, therefore I go fast)