Re: TR6 Flywheel Gear

To: ronald weber <rmweber_99@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Flywheel Gear
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:41:29 -0500
Hi Ron,

This has been discussed in the past and my understanding from those discussions
is that the TR250
and possibly early TR6 had "pull" type starters rather than the later "push"
type. A pull type
starter pulled the starter's gear towards the front of the car to engage the
ring gear teeth. As a
result, the  ring gear was mounted so the bevels were towards the rear of the
car. It's also my
understanding that when Triumph went to the push type starters they just never
bothered to reverse
the ring gear because it didn't matter much, if at all, which way the bevels
faced.

FWIW, I will install a newer TR6 push type starter on my TR250 restoration, and
the machine shop is
going to reverse the ring gear for me. My understanding is the ring gear can be
removed by heating
it, although I believe Bentley says it is a destructive removal because the
ring gear is cut in the
process. Don't quote me on that -- it's from memory.

Don Malling