Dim dashboard lights

To: <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Dim dashboard lights
From: "Steve Lindquist" <lindquistse@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:20:23 -0500
I just pulled the dash dimmer out of my 68 TR250.  It is a variable
potentiometer, and uses a brass brush to make contact with a resistor.
Mine was heavily oxidized, and when I connected it to a multimeter it
read a few hundred ohms in the "bright" position.  After cleaning up the
contacts with steel wool and brass cleaner the potentiometer read a few
tenths of ohms.  This should give the dash light bulbs as close to 12 V
as is possible.  Its still not back in the car but I'm pretty sure this
will do the trick.  My dash lights were pretty dim and only one position
on the pot actually made contact before I cleaned them off.  A new part
is ~$75 from Moss.

Steve Lindquist
68 TR250 CD231L
lindquistse@charter.net