Re: Flywheel:How lite is too lite?

To: "John Mitchell" <jmitch@snet.net>, "6-Pack" <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Flywheel:How lite is too lite?
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 23:21:14 -0500
John,

I don't know what a 12 lb flywheel drives like, although I can imagine
you'll have some quick acceleration from a standstill and serious engine
braking when you take your foot off of the accelerator.  I'm sure other
listers can speak from experience on the driving characterisitcs of an
engine with a 12 lb wheel.

More importantly, if this is a stock flywheel I would be very concerned
about its structural integrity.  12 lbs is pretty darn light for what was a
stock flywheel, which means a whole lot of metal has been cut away.  It is a
possible that there is not enough wall thickness to keep it all together and
at high RPM it might decide to shatter.  Let's put it this way - if the only
area where metal was removed is in the center section of the side of the
wheel facing the engine block then I would definitely be inclined to use the
other flywheel and cut it down to 15-16 pounds which seems to be the
reasonably safe typical limit.

Greg Dito
CD6250L