Re: Interesting source for SS valves

To: <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Interesting source for SS valves
From: "Jerry C Shaw" <slowtoaccept@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:35:36 -0500
Vance

I didn't word-smith my post very well. When I mentioned one-piece forged, I
was referring to what APT sells or what BP Northwest sells as monolithic 21
4N stainless and having some disadvantages vis-a-vis mushrooming and stem
wear, since SS is softer than steel alloy. However, both of those valves
have reduced stem diameters just under the head for improved flow.

You are correct that these RPM valves (actually they are from SI Industries,
see http://www.sivalves.com/ocforeign_valvesrep_tri.html) are  forged 21 4N
stainless with hardened (Stellite?) tips. Some portion of the stem
apparently is chrome plated. It seems to me that these valves are superior
to one-piece forged SS ones.

Here's the response I got directly from the "horses mouth"
THE TRIUMPH VALVES ARE SWIRL POLISHED, CHROME PLATED, 21-4N STAINLESS STEEL
MADE IN ONE PIECE FORGINGS. THESE ARE NOT AVAILABLE IN NITRIDED COATING. THE
INTAKE IS 1.450 HEAD, 5/16 STEMS AND 4.600 LONG. THE EXHAUST IS 1.260 HEAD,
5/16 STEM, AND 4.600 LONG. BOTH ARE HARD TIPPED.

And here's the best part if you go directly to SI:
THE COST OF THESE IS $11.95 EACH, AND WE HAVE THEM IN STOCK.

--
THANK YOU

PETER WIGBELS

GENERAL MANAGER

--

I like the idea of doing the 30-degree undercut, but I do plan on pocket
porting (the head sits on my workbench as I write).

Thanks
Jerry