RE: Does anyone have and use an original factory hardtop?

To: "Joseph Grant" <z28quetzal@mindspring.com>, 6Pack
Subject: RE: Does anyone have and use an original factory hardtop?
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 07:32:53 -0700
I have a factory hardtop for my '72. The difference between hard top and soft
top is quite noticeable. All of our cars are a little different though. My
soft top has a horrible fit above the roll up windows but an excellent fit
everywhere else. My roll up windows actually seal against the hardtop making
the car feel very much like a coupe. More GT like just like the period
advertising said. I have heard of people with the opposite results
though(excellent soft top fit, horrible hard top fit). So your results might
vary.

If I could make one suggestion for you though. Before you install your
headliner add some insulation to the top. Insulate for heat/cold and sound. I
used a product called astro foil. Foil with air pockets between layers. Found
it in a building supply store. Sound insulation is much improved, it no longer
sounds like I'm in a tin can during a rain storm. The heat/cold insulation
effect is also noticeable. If it's cold but sunny, the greenhouse effect
adequately warms the car. It also makes my heater feel much more effective. It
would also help in hot weather but wouldn't allow the ventilation of the zip
down rear window.

The only complaint I have about my hardtop is that I can't seem to find a rear
window seal. I need to re-paint the top to match my car but don't want to
until I can replace all the rubber seals as well. So I deal with a red top and
a green car. It is very christmassy though. Appropriate for the time of year
that I use it.  :-)

Shawn J. Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort Collins, CO