Re: Spare Tire-Redline Up or Down

To: Robert Fabie <bfabie@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Spare Tire-Redline Up or Down
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:32:05 -0400 (EDT)
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Robert Fabie wrote:

> Wondering if most people prefer to have their spare tire facing front
> side up or down?

If you want the stock hold-down thingie to work, the tire _must_ be
mounted with the red-line facing the ground.

This is because if you mount it the other way you need a hook thingie
that's quite a lot longer (more than one inch). There's a built in
"offset" to the TR6 wheel.

If I was judging a TR6 boot and opening the  boot floor to reveal the
spare tire with the redline up, I'd deduct maximum points as a matter of
principle.

Note, however, that my judging days are over after being accosted by a
dissatisfied concours participant a few years back.... o you're safe from
my judgement!

:-)

Seriously, the tire should be mounted face-down.

> Bob
> 75 TR6

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |

Check out the new British Cars Forum: