leaking valve cover

To: <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: leaking valve cover
From: "Ian Breyer" <IBreyer@fw1.Hartynet.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:22:09 -0400
I have a few of questions for all of you people who know a lot more than I.

1)     A month or so ago I purchased one of those aftermarket valve covers
from Moss. It leaks oil through the pinhole in the oil filler cover. They
told me this is because I have too much oil pressure. I dont really buy it.
Why is the hole there anyway? The stock valve cover didnt have one.
Furthermore I would think the oil would rather go out through the hole for
the emission systems anyway. A friend of mine put a rivet through the hole
in his Spitfire oil filler to close it up. Would anyone recommend I do the
same?

2)     What does everyone think of DOT 5 brake fluid? I am not currently
using it but my same buddy has it in his Spitfire. I have read its a bad
idea but I have to admit I like the idea that it wont wreck my paint in the
event of a spill. Also the brake fluid in my master cylinder reservoir is a
little dirty. Is this a sign of a problem or is it fairly normal?

3) I know this is supposed to be a technical forum. Whats the etiquette I
should follow if I was seeking some spare parts? I backed into a telephone
pole the other day and could use a rear bumper. I know I could try ebay but
I thought maybe someone out there has one in their garage.

Ian

72 TR6

Check out the new British Cars Forum: