RE: engine disassembly question

To: <Lizirbydavis@cs.com>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: engine disassembly question
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:04:09 -0700
        Joe:

        On my 74, the gear just slips off with light finger pressure. If
the woodruff key has been dislocated slightly, the gear can feel like it
is stuck on there, but it is a very light slip fit. When I reassembled
the engine, it just slid right on, but I needed to fuss a bit with the
woodruff key to get it in the right position so that the gear slipped
off and on. If your oil thrower won't come off, then the key is
definitely displaced from it's correct position. Try *LIGHTLY* tapping
on the key to reseat it. Use a drift and a small hammer. Trust me, a
little dab will do ya on that.
        I suspect you can just gently pry it off, but if it is not
cooperating, a gear puller will take it off for sure. They are pretty
handy to have in any event (I use mine to press suspension bushings in
and out as well).
        A timing gear set is cheap ($40) so why take a chance on worn
gears? Just don't do what I did which is toss the old set before
transferring the timing marks to the new set.
        Even if you do, there is a procedure in the Bentley manual to
time the cam with no special tools and no timing marks. I ended up using
that, and it worked fantastic. It was sensitive enough that you can
easily time the cam to less than a half tooth on the cam gear. The only
issue was translating from British to American. There was this one
phrase that had me stumped: "On the rock". What the heck is that? Once I
started the procedure, it became obvious - It is when both the intake
and exhaust valves are open at the same time (TDC on the exhaust
stroke). The British. Ya gotta love 'em.

        Cheers,

        Vance
Cogito Ergo Zoom
(I think, therefore I go fast)