Weber vs Stromberg vs ?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Weber vs Stromberg vs ?
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:41:33 -0400
I have read a lot of stuff in various places and I'm still not seeing a
consensus on the best approach to carburetion on the US model TR6 for
street use.

I'm ruling out all fuel injection solutions based on cost and complexity
and I'm assuming I don't care about emission control.

The options seem to be:

1.      Triple sidedraft DCOE's, needs upgraded head and cam and mods to
distributor, cost $1500+ just for the carbs so total could be $2500+
2.      Dual DGV downdraft, bolt on replacement to Strombergs, will work
on stock engine, some complaints about fuel consumption, driving at high
altitudes, and less than startling performance. Cost around $800.00
3.      Just replace or refurbish the Strombergs, they are fine carbs
when in good condition and working well. Cost around $400.00 for
professional refurb (TRF, others).
4.      Other carb options (triple Strombergs, multiple SU's etc)

Options 2 and 3 appeal to me the most with 3 being the simplest but
would leave me with what I have now - a lot of moving parts and a lot of
emissions and vacuum tubing. I wonder if anyone has any experience with
option 2 (how well it went, would they do it again, what year TR6 was
this done to and what happens to all the emissions plumbing and vacuum
lines etc..). If I missed this topic in the archives feel free to just
point me at it.

Thanks,

Stan

Check out the new British Cars Forum: