TR6 steering rack

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 steering rack
From: "Campsmith, Michael" <MGC4@cdc.gov>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 08:42:00 -0400
Fellow listers--

My 1974 TR6 frame-off restoration is progressing slowly but surely.
This weekend I removed the steering rack for cleaning and replacement of
the rubber gaiters.

I plan to thoroughly clean all exposed parts, but hadn't planned to
disassemble the rack and pinion, since the Haynes manual makes me think
this job is beyond my DIY skill level.

Are there any "must do's" or "must not do's" for this job?  I will be
using solid rack mounts for reinstallation.  Also, the manual states
that after refitting the unit should be filled with the "recommended
lubricant" but nowhere can I find what that is.  I removed the plug and
tipped the unit over but nothing came out.  Is this a bad thing?  Or is
the lubricant grease and not oil?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Michael Campsmith
1974 TR6 (now in slightly less than a million pieces)