Re: thrust washers

To: jimjcmo@yahoo.com (Jim Jones)
Subject: Re: thrust washers
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:11:54 -0700
Jim---There are a couple of ways to determine the size of the
replacement thrust washers. One way assumes no wearing has occured on
those parts that are up against these two washers. This would be the
norm, and all that is necessary is to measure the thickness of the
existing washers, and compare it to the number stamped on the back side.
(i.e. .092) This should return the crankshaft to its original running
clearance.

Oversized washers are not always stamped as to their thickness. If you
measure one that reads like .095 it would indicate that it started life
as an .097. I would then replace it with an .097.

There is a special coating on these washers that I believe to be .010
thick. If all of this (white metal) coating is worn off down to the base
steel, then the original thickness may not be known.

Most of us use some sort of a measuring system, like a dial indicator or
feeler gauges, to figure out the thickness' to use. Shoot for crankshaft
end play of .005. A couple of thousandths either way from this is OK.
Know that you can mix-and-match the different thicknesses of available
washers to arrive at the final clearance number.

Dick