Re: Front wheels lean in turns

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: Front wheels lean in turns
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:58:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Sally or Dick Taylor wrote:

> List---One thing that has bugged me for some time is the way my outside
> front tire leans into a positive camber when in a hard turn. If I turn
> the steering wheel sharply when the car is stationary, the outside wheel
> will stay negative (the way I want it).
>
> I would appreciate feedback on how the front wheels on your TR respond
> when turning the car while moving, say at 10mph or so. Leave the
> steering wheel at near full lock, and stop the car. Is your outside
> wheel leanng in or out at the top?

The front suspension is designed to do this. It adds to the amount of
understeer in the turn. I _believe_ that this is a factor related to the
"ackerman" effect, but I could be wrong there.

The reasoning is simple... the two wheels have different turning radii in
the turn (owing to the respective position in the turning circle). One
wheel will "scrub" more than the other. The change in camber reduces the
effect of the scrub.

I won't go in to the geometry factors, but if you lower the car so that
the lower a-arm is parallel to the ground (or as close as you can get it
to that position), it seems to greatly reduce the amount of camber change
at full steering lock. I have done quite a lot of trial and error with
this setup and the result is a car that is quite low but turns "real
nice".

> Dick

Regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |