Trash in the master cylinder

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Trash in the master cylinder
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 21:02:53 EDT
I rebuilt my entire brake system this spring (except for the booster).  I
bought a new master cylinder, new wheel cylinders, and filled the system with
silicone fluid...the pink stuff.  The car has been stopping great...until
today.
The pedal became very firm, and the car drifts to the right.  When I start
the car, the brake pedal doesn't  "soften" as it should when boosted.
Apparently the booster has given up the ghost.  I also noted that there are
lots of
flecks of black stuff in both chambers of the master cylinder.  I started the
car again this eve.  and the pedal feel is normal again and the car stops
straight.  Any ideas about the intermittent nature of this problem?  And, what
is
the black stuff?
Joe Davis