Re: Oil cooler cleanliness

To: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>, "6Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil cooler cleanliness
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 00:15:46 +0100
Kai

I sometimes feel there's perhaps a little too much optimism on what a filter
can actually *catch.* It's a while since I was in the parts business and
specifying particular makes for branding (about 15 years) and I'm not sure
how the media in a modern spin-on will retain particles. I'd be surprised if
it retains anything smaller than 10 microns which I believe equates roughly
to one grain of sand? Comments anyone? Suffice it to say there are many very
harmful elements much smaller than this (say one grain of face or talcum
powder) which will pass through a filter and over time will only add to the
build-up of sludge. Short of tearing the engine down and thoroughly cleaning
it, the only other option is to maximise oil and filter changes and to use
the car as much as possible. Most people know that short journeys on a cold
engine knacker a power unit far faster than driving it hard for prolonged
periods, so the message surely has to be 'drive your car as much as you can
for as long as you can' and let it get really hot. This will release sludge
over time, keep it suspended in the oil and the detergents will protect
critical surfaces from damage. Ally that usage to regular lube and filter
changes and the engine should be good for at least 100,000 miles or more.
Modern oils with their state-of-the-art additives will see to that! Our old
style power units certainly aren't rocket science and they respond well to
modern lube technology. Should last far longer than they were ever designed
to last.

Jonmac