Distributor Machine, TSI

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Distributor Machine, TSI
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 15:35:46 -0700
Ted---Getting a true, centrifugal advance reading as you suggested is
certainly the professional way to do it. Ideal for when suspecting a
mechanical problem, or when wanting to optimize spring rates, weights
and such when setting up a performance engine. I found a failrly
reliable way to at least measure total advance in my Lucas unit. The
book says it should be between 24 and 28 total
crankshaft degrees. Using a radius guide, mine shows total advance, with
the weights pushed up against the limiting post, to be 12 deg. of
movement. This translates to 24 on the crank, which falls into the
Triumph spec for my year 1973.

If I set the initial timing at 4 deg. ATDC. with NO retard connected,
this would only give me 20 deg. total advancement.  II set
the timing to 4ATDC WITH the retard connected, I would then have -4 + 16
+ 24 which brings me to what you suggested: 36 total advancement.  How
did I do?

Dick

From: tedtsimx@bright.net(Ted Schumacher) tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally
or Dick Taylor), 6pack@autox.team.net Subject: Re: Distributor Timing

Bob and Dick are both correct.  The only true way to figure out what
you need is to find out what you have.  Take your distributor to a
shop that has a distributor machine. have them run the distributor and
give you the advance numbers - say every 500 rpm. Now you know what you
have to work with.  Ifyou have a mildly improved engine, say 9.5 cr,
you can probvaly get by with 36 degrees total advance.  Take the toatl
int he distributor and subtract from 36.  This will give your intial
timing.  Ted

http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com
108 S. Jefferson St.
Pandora, Ohio, USA 45877
Fax: 419.384.3272 (24 Hrs.)
Phone: 800.543.6648 (US & Canada)
Tech/ Gen. Information/ Worldwide: 419.384.3022