RE: TR6 paint type

To: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: RE: TR6 paint type
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 22:58:55 -0800
Jonmac,

Thank you for your comments about British paint of the seventies.  I have a
'73 6 with the original Pimento Red paint.  The car has never been hit and
has very few door dings, as well.  The only rust is on the muffler and
exhaust pipes.  When I bought the car the paint was extremely oxidized, so
much so that I had to rub it out over and over again with very aggressive
rubbing compound.  I was very happy with the thickness of the paint and got
away with removing a lot of it.  The paint looks best in direct sunlight and
it will never have the depth of shine like a fresh repaint or a brand new
car, but still looks pretty good.  Having said that, I'll keep it as it is
as long as possible.  Is this car's paint condition a rare anomaly?

Gary
'73