Triple Webbers and electronic ignition

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Triple Webbers and electronic ignition
From: "Chuck Arnold" <chuck.arnold@oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:14:40 -0800
Bob Lang gave a very good stock answer to the triple Webber question.
I run that setup, and have now made several additional modifications.
To his stock answer, he normally include a piece on the exhaust side of things
-- does no good to have the ability shove more fuel/air in without some means
to also get it out.  To get the best benefit even with a stock setup, you
should consider a header upgrade.
As for ignition, he is 100% correct.  On that note, I used to use a crane
XR700 optical points and their [Crane's] equivalent of an MDS6 high
capacitance ignition.  I have since switched to an Electromotive crank fired
ignition.  So if anyone want the old system, I will put it on the 6pack auto
jumble web site next weekend.
After last year's engine rebuild, which included porting of the head and jet
coating the headers, the setup I did have on the Webbers was far too lean.  At
the dyno shop they did not have the correct size idle and main jets [nor did
I] so they used small reams to adjust the size.  With a Kent D9 [292 degree]
cam and 11:1 compression using 101 octane racing fuel, we ended up with 60
idle jets and 145 mains.  Do not remember what we did for air correctors.
Have not changed the accelerator pump jets from what ever they came stock
with; have gone to 34 mm chokes.  Was getting 160 or so HP at the wheels.

Chuck Arnold
Technical Manager
Oracle Northwest Fulfillment Practice
425 241 0457 [cell]