Steering Rack

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering Rack
From: "The Romagni's" <mrdr@buckeyeweb.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 19:53:35 -0600
Hello everyone,

I'm in the midst of re-assembling my spare steering rack. I've disassembled
and cleaned everything. After I got it all back together I was checking it to
see that it moved freely left to right. Not yet mounted in the car.

All is ok when turning to the left. However, when I turn to the right, it gets
difficult to turn about an inch from the end. I disassembled it and put a
straight edge on the rack shaft and it appears to be bent!

As I see it I've got four options -

1) new rack shaft,
2) used rack shaft from someone like Team Triumph (any suggestions for other
user part purveyors?),
3) try and bend the existing rack shaft back into place,
4) do nothing, it's not binding until the end.

Has anyone been faced with this problem and what did you do? Anyone attempted
#3? How would you do it? Use a BFH, heat it up???

Thanks again for all your help & suggestions!!

Marty Romagni
1974 TR6
Painesville, Ohio