Re: Hex bolts for U joint flange

To: Aledotr6@aol.com
Subject: Re: Hex bolts for U joint flange
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:27:38 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 Aledotr6@aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone know of a source for original spec hex bolts for the u joint
> flange? I've only been able to find full thread of similar length. I tried
>cutting
> one from a longer bolt but the threads seemed quite a bit looser than the
> original. I don't know if it will hold with the amount of torque required.

Buy the proper bolt from the usual suppliers. It is a specialty bolt that
is under a lot of shear stress. You do not want these to break.

> Is full thread acceptable, or is there too much play that can cause
> vibration?

Full thread bolts will crack under the stress. Note: the factory had these
bolts replaced at fairly regular intervals, racer used to change them
every 4 races (!). $30 for new bolts is cheap insurance against possibly
more damage should a bolt fail.

> Thanks,
> Bud Trussell
> Finally putting things back together on a TR6 rebuild

regards,
rml
p.s. TRF part no. 197960 is the bolt
p.p.s. if you want to buy bulk nuts, get AN365-6 from a reputable fastener
shop.
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |