Re: underhood heat

To: <Lizirbydavis@cs.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: underhood heat
From: Greg Dito <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:09:13 -0500
Joe,

I think I know the header you are referring to and it should also help quite a
bit in the mid-range rpm range.  You could email Rimmer and  ask the question
of them.  I'm sure you'll get an informed answer.

I also am thinking of a header but do not plan on regularly thrashing the motor
at 6000 rpm.  It's in the mid-range rpm (2500-4500) that I plan to do most of
my "spirited but do not want to kill the engine" driving (OK, maybe 3000-5000
as my hotter cam peaks max power at 5750) so there should be a benefit with the
right header.

And I am planning to ceramic coat the header inside and out.  Seems to be good
reason to do so, both from a performance and longevity standpoint.  I've heard
of too many headers rusting out after not too long.  Even stainless will
eventually rust.  Many know of Jet-Hot, http://www.jet-hot.com  but there is
also AirBorn, found in Oklahoma, Conneticut and North Carolina,
http://www.airborncoatings.com/homepage.html

There will be more underhood heat and engine noise.  I've read some not too
favorable comments about header wraps.  I've heard six cylinder TRs with
headers and it did not give me the impression that the increased underhood
noise is substantial, but then I was never in one of those cars at 5000 rpm.

I'm sure other listers can educate us all based on real experiences.  I'd like
to hear them.

Greg Dito
CC6250L