Re: engine knock

To: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Subject: Re: engine knock
From: william mcintire <william.mcintire@wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:05:26 -0400
Looong time ago in a land no so far away we would "knurlize" pistons for
proper clearance. As I remember this was done primarily on wet sleeved
engines (TR2/3/4 and Renaults). An auto machne shop would  increase the
diameter of the piston skirts for proper clearance w/ the cylinders. As
I remember they would mike the cyls and then 'stretch' the piston skirt
for correct clearance. We did this because sleeves were/are not easy to
bore oversize or parts were not available (gotta fix what ya got). Don't
know as to long term longevity, but never had one with problems in at
least 4 years.

This is obviously a major tear down to access the affected part. but for
peace of mind....maybe.  Would have to tear down the engine, remove the
pistons, mike them and their respective cyls to find which one isn't
filling the hole. You may be able to tell from skirt wear. Take the
ailing piston to a machine shot and have them knurlize it the
appropriate amount.  Or you clould let it go as it probably won't hurt
anything except resale value.
FWIW
Bill
'70   6