Hood Release

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Hood Release
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 11:35:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: jjtarnow@yahoo.com 9:40am

Josh wrote:
<After some scarry (couldn't get the hood open) situations I need to
realign the hood release mechanism. Does anyone have any suggestions
regarding the best way to get the two male and female to line up? I've
tried to put paint on the male portion to make sure it sits well in the
hole but it's not working properly and I'm deathly afraid of having it
stick again.>
Josh
'76 TR6

Josh---I have used two different substances to align the conical rubbers
so they center into the hood recepticals. Either will work. You can use
chalk or petroleum jelly (Vaseline).

Apply a thin coat into the rim of the hood receiver. Lightly close the
hood far enough to transfer this coating onto the rubber cones. An
incomplete circle of the transfer will show you which way to move the
rubber cones. Wipe off the cones and repeat. When the circle is complete
and even, tighten the cone nuts. Use the cone thread lengths to
determine the height of the hood in relation to the fenders and cowl.
Repeat the chalk test, if necessary.

Obviously this method works best when the hood gaps are more or less
even to begin with. The cones were never meant to center a misaligned
hood. The captive nuts inside and at the front of the hood should
provide enough adjustment to center it, unless there is a problem due to
collision.

I also found that the hood latch tension works best (on my car) when the
spring length is adjusted for an overall length of 3-1/8".

Add Vaseline to the rubber cones as a way to eliminate any squeaks from
the contact.

Dick