Re: Dan Masters problems? Help!

To: <SOThornton@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Dan Masters problems? Help!
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:44:34 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: <SOThornton@aol.com>
To: <6pack@autox.team.net>; <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 10:29 PM
Subject: Dan Masters problems? Help!

> List-
>

> I have a 1971 TR6 that first developed a problem a month or so ago. I
drove
> it one night and when I returned home and had to move a car in the
driveway to
> get the TR6 in the garage, I found my TR6 would not restart. Nothing. No
> grinding, no noise at all.
>
> I thought it was the starter and replaced it. It ran on the test drive and
it
> was parked again in the garage. When I tried to use it again this weekend,
> again nothing. No grinding, no noise at all.
>
> The cable from the battery to the starter had worn the coating off from
> laying on the manifold so I replaced the cable. Still nothing. I checked
all of the
> relevant connections and they look good.
>
> When I tried to charge the battery with the Battery Tender, neither the
red
> or green light lit up. The Battery Tender worked on my TR3B though. When
the
> ignition is turned to the start mode, the car has no lights at all.

SOT,

When the ignition is off do the headlights work, and if so, do they shine
fairly bright?

> What is the problem? Any ideas? Possibly two bad starters?

Very unlikely.  The first thing to do is check for 12V or so at the starter
solenoid when the ignition key is turned to the start position.  Connect the
red lead of a voltmeter to the white/red stripe wire on the starter solenoid
and the meter's black lead to ground and turn the key.  If no voltage is
present, we'll work backwards from there.  While you are at it, leave the
black meter lead connected to ground and connect the red lead of the meter
to the big red wire end on the starter (the one from the battery), you
should always have about 12V there no matter what the key position.

Good luck.

Gary
'73