Sticky Clutch Solved

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Sticky Clutch Solved
From: "Todd Bermudez" <red_tr250@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:00:31 -0400
List,

I just wanted to pass along my experience of solving "MY" sticky clutch
issue.  It did not solve the squeal, but that may have to wait till after
the TRials??

A local club member suggested that the sticky clutch may be caused by
engine/gearbox mis-alignment.  He suggested using an 11/32 drill bit at the
10 & 2 o'clock positions to align the gearbox to the engine plate.  Of
course this meant pulling the passenger's seat, dash support, carpeting, &
tunnel cover as well as slackening all the nuts & bolts that secure the
gearbox.  After rooting around my tool box, I managed to actually find an
11/32 drill bit(just slightly larger diameter than the 5/16 bolt used to
attach the gearbox).  I believe this is the actual diameter of the
hole(11/32).  The 2 o'clock position was lined up perfectly & I started
thinking time to remove the gearbox & look for something else, but the 10
o'clock was about 1/8" off(too low).  I had to ream the hole a bit as years
of bolt tightening "goofed" up the hole in the tranny, but using a jack I
was able to line it up so the drill bit passed through.  Put the essentials,
nuts/bolts, & wiring & took it for a test drive.  VOILA

See ya'll at the Trials,

Todd Bermudez