Gearbox - a couple of remaining issues

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox - a couple of remaining issues
From: "Mark Creamer" <mcreamer@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:44:37 -0400
Hi all,
Well the gearbox is in, and I took a quick test run. Everything,
including my new Gunst bearing seems to be performing well.

I have not yet put the gearbox tunnel cover back on, because I have a
few remaining questions. I think I did a pretty good job for such a
large undertaking, but I did make a few mistakes, and need a little
advice.

1.      I failed to document the connections for the OD wiring harness.
The end with bullet connectors is pretty obvious, but I have 4 pair of
female "lucar" connectors at the other end of the harness, and see only
3 places to put them: 2 switches on the gearbox itself, and the OD
solenoid. So is it possible one pair is not needed, and does it matter
which one I don't use?
2.      I did not see Mr. Gunst's notes regarding the dowel pins on the
bearing installation until I was almost finished. What I found when
putting the gearbox up against the engine mount was that all bolt holes
lined up perfectly. So I figured it was right. Now I see that Mr. Gunst
included the dowel pins, and says to use them to ensure proper mounting.
Is it possible to not use the pins and still have the mounting not
correct if all bolts are in correctly? If so, I'd rather take it back
apart now and use the dowels than have a problem later.

Any advice, as always is much appreciated. Thanks!

Mark Creamer
76 TR6 CF53032UO