external oil feed for 1974 TR6

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: external oil feed for 1974 TR6
From: "Michael Greene" <m.e.greene@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 22:10:10 -0400
I have ordered a spin on adapter for my car from the Roaster Factor, but have
not received the unit (back ordered). I need some advice if I should also
order a external oil feed for the head. Several people have had different
views on this option. Below is a email I received on this subject. Also this
week I replace the dip stick felt seal. About how much should the felt extend
out past the top, right now the unit stick past the end about 3/8" compressed
in the car. The difference is about a 1/4" quart difference of oil
requirements.

Michael E. Greene

 8800 Shoreham Blvd.

Knoxville Tn. 37922

The external oil line plugs into an extra T-piece between the block and the
oil pressure sensor. The other end goes into the blanked-off drilling at the
left rear corner of the head.

But ask yourself, do I really need this? I think I have given my opinion
elsewhere on this site (try the GT6 Forum), that this is an unnecessary, and
possibly risky modification. Why?

1/ The rockershaft is not highly loaded, unless you go for a wild cam and
roller rockers (See below - re. Kas Kastner).
2/ Unless your rockershaft is new and unworn, the flow through it and its
bearings under excess pressure may rob the more important, and more highly
loaded mains and bigends of oil flow.
3/ I suspect the only reason people ever did it was because Kas Kastner did
it, striving for reliability from his 200BHP 6 cylinder engines. But he also
gave those engines seperate oil feeds to each main bearing, which is a highly
skilled, precision workshop modification, whereas the cylinder head oil feed
happens to be a bolt-on. It's easy to do, so people do it and suppliers have
kept on supplying it.