Re: Rebuilding my heater

To: "Phil Beckman" <phil@opentext.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rebuilding my heater
From: "Ken Davis" <ken.davis@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 08:35:26 -0700
Phil,

Can help with one item... testing the heater core.  I did mine like
this.   Took an old hose, and with a clamp, put it on one side of
the pipes, used a closed off piece on the other.   Turned on the
hose and let the pressure build.  I knew that my outside faucet has
just on 100lbs of pressure, and there were no leaks from the core,
so I considered it good, and put it back in.   I tested the motor
with a couple of long leads hooked to the battery, with an ammeter
in one of them.  A quick touch to get the motor running showed a
power drain of just under 10A, at full run, hispeed, it was pulling
around 5 amps (can't remember exactly, maybe it was 3).  So I lubed
everything with a graphite oil, put it back in, and I've been happy
ever since.  this was 3 years ago, and all is still fine

Ken

73 '6 CF7000U0

: Folks,
:
: Last spring I discovered that over the winter, a mouse seems to
have
: decided that the inside of my heater would be a great place to
store
: corn and other assorted stuff.  My plan is to take a spare heater
that I
: have, clean it, paint it, make sure the blower motor is in good
shape
: and then swap the newly rebuilt one for the one that's in the car
now.
: What I'm looking for is any advice on rebuilding one of these
things.
: The box itself came apart pretty easily, the heater core itself is
out,
: the motor is separated from the box but now I'm unsure how to
proceed.
: I want to make certain the core is sound, has no leaks, etc.  How
do I
: do that?  I want to make sure the motor is in good shape, doesn't
draw
: too much power, etc.  Any easy way to determine that?  Any other
: suggestions on what I should or should not do?