Timing Chain Cover Seal

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing Chain Cover Seal
From: "Nick Gemas" <gln@worldpath.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 07:00:22 -0400
Well I decided to replace the leaking front seal on the timing chain cover,
it leaked from day one after getting it back from a rebuild. When I had the
new seal in and installed the cover I noticed that the nose of the
crankshaft was off center of the opening by what looks like 1/16" . My first
thought was something was bent so I rotated the crank by hand and it looked
perfectly true. I'm sure the new seal will leak since the crank isn't
centered in the seal. I also wasn't able the center the shaft on the seal
with any play in the cover since there wasn't any. I had the machine shop
line bore the crank , any chance someone screwed up? Or maybe I have a bad
timing chain cover. I can't imagine a defective cover would not have been
replaced by a previous owner since it leaks at an astounding rate even for a
Triumph.

Thanks Nick