Squealing Clutch

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Squealing Clutch
From: "john.harriet" <john.harriet@netzero.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 11:09:00 -0700
Hi folks, professional lurker here. My father- in- law is actually the one
that owns the TR6, but I hope to one day either buy it from him or purchase
one, so I follow this list absorbing as much as possible. So on to my
question. John replaced his clutch recently. Now, he's quite fond of British
engineering, being a British engineer has something to do with this I suppose,
but he is very disappointed with his new Borg and Beck kit that he just
installed. It squeals and sticks. He also noted that the TO bearing did not
spin freely like the old one. I sent him the VTR article on this issue hoping
that would help, but I am still confused about a solution. He will not
probably go to the lengths to find NOS Laycocks or B&B's, and a Gunst bearing
is just not....British! And, it's too expensive in his view. So, what is the
best off the shelf way to solve this problem? In my eyes, the only other
option is to buy the LUK clutch. But the whole reason he replaced the clutch
in the first place was that he didn't like the force it took to engage the
sport clutch that was originally installed, and I have read that the LUK takes
more force than the B&B, which he finds acceptable. For those who have used
both, does the LUK require that much more force to engage/disengage than the
B&B? I would love to help him out on this issue, it IS sort of a bonding
thing, you know! He is very steadfast in his belief that the original parts
cannot be improved upon, and mods to this marquee are pretty much frowned upon
in his eyes. Knowing this, what are his options?

One last question. What are the chances that Victoria British will give him
his money back for a 'squeaky clutch?

Thanks so much for any help,

John McDonald
Simulated TR6 in driveway, leaking simulated fluids. Cannot simulate the
driving experience, however....