Ignition timing-30 BTDC ?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Ignition timing-30 BTDC ?
From: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:20:21 +0000
Hi All,

I suppose it is time I chime in.  First I want to remind everyone thatin
terms of IC engines, combustion is more of a burn than a bang.  It does not
convert the energy all at once like an explosion.  It takes some time.  That
is why ATDC settings sacrifice certain characteristics of an Internal
Combuestion engine such as ours.

As someone else wrote, I too have my timing set far in advance (likely 25 to
30 BTDC): way off the scale.  And when it revs I can't even imagine.  I have
always timed my engines by sound and feel.  I'd first set it based upon
idle.  Then I'd take a happy 30 or 40 minute drive and make some
adjustments.  No pinging has always been critical for me.  And I like a
smooth idle too.  Mine idle is set at around 700 rpm, my engine is
significantly above stock power due to its internal modification, and it
runs great.

Well, the funny thing is that after the last thread on ignition timing
(about a month ago) I brought my timing light from my storage space (located
in MD) to my car (in PA).  I tried to adjust the ignitioin as per the
general consensus of the list.  The car never sounded or drove worse.  I
even got worried (as I had been working on some other things at the same
time, which I generally tend to NOT due in order to keep the newly
introduced variable to 1).  Well, after a few hours I threw the timing light
aside and grabbed the distributor, as I have always done.  I swung it back
and forth a few times to make sure I had forgotten where it was and I set it
by sound.  I took my drive and within 15 minutes my car sounded and drove
fantastically.  When I returned I found that the timing was WAYY far in
advance and I happily left it there.

Am I overlooking something or is there something that could possibly be
detrimental to have the timing so far in advance?

I have also done some testing in terms of adjusting the timing and checking
the temperature at idle.  I hate it when the needle rises above halfway
(which on my car is 180).  I have a summer thermostat in the car (165) and
when idling the needle now goes to just above halfway.

Sincerely,
Dave Herbert