Re: [LED dash lights]

To: Andrew Packard <apackard68@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: [LED dash lights]
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:05:00 -0400
Andy, one other thing you can try is bypassing the rheostat. Just connect the
two wires going to it to the same terminal. There are two spades on each. This
made my instruments significantly brighter. But not so bright that you'd want
to dim them with the rheostat.

- Hugh

Andrew Packard <apackard68@comcast.net> wrote:
> Greetings to the list:
> I owe an answer back to many on the LED dash light possibilities.  I was
able to get two sample bulbs from a local distriutor for testing.  One was
white, the other a pale green.  They installed easily into the screw holder.
In fact, they had textured plastic that was easy to grab, push and turn to
lock the bulb in place.  No incandescent light bulb shooting across the
interior when you go to install.  Once in, they worked, but actually
illuminated the speedo and tach less than the stock bulbs.  I have one of the
white ones in the right side of the speedo and a stock bulb in the left.  The
left side is significantly brighter.  I think that since the LED light is such
a directed beam, it does not diffuse well in the body of the instrument.  I
tried using the green one in the "trafficator" hole of my tach, but that was
less visible as well.  To top it off, the bulbs cost $8-$10 each, depending on
the color.