re:bent pushrods,broken rockers

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:bent pushrods,broken rockers
From: "Lawrence Brown" <larryandrobin@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:05:15 -0400
Hi Greg,
     I think the head has already been skimmed.  The pushrods seemed long and
the threads on the adjusters were backed off almost all the way.  I got new
pushrods from Moss, but they were rough cast on the cup end and only contacted
the balls at one little spot in the center. Made lots of noise.  I
straightened the old ones and put them back on, with good results.  Also the 2
new rockers from Moss have more sideways play than my originals, on a new
shaft.  I made aluminum shims to put under the rocker pedestals out of .080"
stock and that got the adjuster threads back in the right place.
     So I'm sure my compression has been raised, but I don't know how much.  I
don't want a lumpy cam, just smoothness and none of these horror stories of
soft tappets and grinding wear.  Anybody have a happy cam history?

Larry Brown
increasingly wary in Asheville