RE: AABESTCO TOPS

To: jdavis344@bellsouth.net, 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, hfader@usa.net
Subject: RE: AABESTCO TOPS
From: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 10:05:43 -0400
  In regards to you folks considering new tops.....
  I purchased a vinyl top from AABestco for my wifes '69 Spitfire last
year. Great price, great product, fast shipping, and Karl, the owner is
a real gentleman, and wonderful businessman.
  2 months ago I purchased a black cloth top for my '76 TR6. Again, the
same experience as above. The top is well made, and fit fine. I was a
bit concerned when I saw the three snaps on each rear quarter were
already installed, but fortunately (lucky) for me, I must have replaced
the body snaps in the right spots during the restoration. In the future
I will probably request that all snaps be left off the tops. Our club
has a professional-type snap tool and punch for these jobs. Myself and a
friend had the top on in 2 hours. I had purchased new webbing, velcro
(for the frame), and weatherstrip, and had the frame all set to go
before the top arrived. It only took a couple weeks to show up. Total
price including shipping to Ma. was just under $300. This was the black
canvas, zippered window, without the reflective stripes. I was truly
satisfied with both purchases from these people, and they have a 5 year,
unlimited mileage warranty.
 http://aabestco.com/intro/introconvertibletop.htm

  NOW FOR THE SLAM ON CARIBOU CANVAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     Not hearing any comments last winter about the canvas tops from
AABestco, I figured I'd give Caribou a shot at it.
   The owner of this "company ???? " should be run out of business, if
he's even still IN business. I recall reading about this guy 4 or 5
years ago, when people on the Spitfire list had a hard time receiving
their items. All was quiet for a time, and I "assumed" (yeah, I know)
that things were back in order. Especially when I called to place an
order for the top for my TR6, and was quoted a delivery time of 3 to 4
weeks. Well, the short story is that my credit card company was nice
enough to credit my account for the full purchase amount 5 months later!
  For the full story, which you may find rather amusing, click on the
following link and read my required letter to the credit card company
asking that my account be credited.
  (the details, like addresses and account #'s have been edited out for
obvious reasons)
 Go to:
http://www.vsv.cape.com/~ktnkt/Caribou%20Canvas%20scam.html

  So, hopefully, you can make a better purchase decision. At least with
one vendor!
 But then, who knows, maybe things are just fine at Caribou "for a
while"........
 Cheers,
Kevin Thompson
'76 TR6- let it rain, I have a top!