RE: Transmission Removal

To: <Gameparker@cs.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Transmission Removal
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 18:27:44 -0700
Geoff,

Yes the tranny can be removed from the car without the engine.  It is
removed from above, from inside the car.  Haynes explains it in more detail,
but basically (this is from memory):
1. Remove seats
2. Remove radio & support assy.
3. Unscrew gearshift knob
4. Remove carpeting from floor & tranny cover
5. remove tranny cover
(at this point raise front of car and put on jackstands)
6. Disconnect clutch slave cylinder from actuation lever
7. Unbolt tranny from driveshaft and engine
8. Unbolt rear tranny mounts
9. Unscrew speedo cable & disconnect any electrical harness (overdrive
and/or reverse light)
10 Using a jack and a piece of plywood (to spread load), raise rear of
engine till rear of tranny is higher than driveshaft.
11. Pull tranny off of engine & out of car.
AND NOW THE THING I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SAY:
12 Reassembly is reverse of disassembly :^)

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6