Re: Stupid is as Stupid Does

To: <ShewFamily@aol.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stupid is as Stupid Does
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 09:32:48 -0600
John, dont beat yourself up on this.  I have left my igntion switch on for
longer than that, although I have points.  Done it more than once, and more
than likely that the points were closed so I suspect its not the coil unless
it was marginal to begin with.  First check for 12 volts at the coil during
starting, it may be possible that the ballast wire is gone.  Then check for a
spark.  Use your timing light for a quick check, otherwise pull the spark plug
wire.  Also, it should be possible to test the Pertronix by putting a
voltmeter between the + side of the coil and ground and crank the engine.
Perhaps the list can comment if I'm all wet, but if I'm right the voltmeter
should go from +12 to 0 during cranking.

John - 76 TR6

John wrote:>
In the process of working to get my car back on the road by this Friday, I did
something stupid.  I placed the ignition switch in the on position to check
the wiring for my overdrive.  However, I forgot that I had left the switch in
the on position for about an hour.  Up until Sunday afternoon, the engine
would crank and run great.  I tried cranking it last night and it will try to
hit, but it will never catch and run.  My car has the Pertronix unit.

My question is did I burn up my coil or damage the Pertronix unit?  I am going
to purchase a cheap coil today, but thought I would rise above the
embarrassment of my stupidity and ask the List to get your advice and
experience.