dancing ammeter

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: dancing ammeter
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:10:59 -0400
Since reinstalling wiring harness(old), the ammeter dances from one side of the
gauge to the other.  Sometimes so violently that the needle gets stuck (always
on the right side of the gauge), and requires a gentle rap on the dash to
dislodge it.  The only problem I notice is that all of the lights, including
dash illumination, flicker. The gauge dances even if the lights are off.
Sometimes the needle settles down, but rarely.  When it does settle, the lights
do not flicker.  I assume I have a bad ground somewhere, but I really have no
idea where to start.  Someone has suggested that I merely misswired the
ammeter.  I can't imagine that I would EVER make a mistake like that.  Any
ideas as to how to sort this out?
Joe Davis