Rear Main Oil Seal

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Main Oil Seal
From: adearist@danriver.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:41:47 -0400
Greetings,
Have been in lurk mode due to the fact that the wisdom of this list greatly
exceeds any mechanical ability or expertise I possess.  All of you have
been a great help at one time or another.
I recently pulled the engine and transmission on my 74 six in order to
install a Gunst bearing, replace the head gasket that had a small leak and
repaint the engine bay.  Upon the completion of the planned dismantling, it
was discovered that this engine was well worn.  It was decided that a
rebuild was in order.
I ordered the necessary parts from BPNW.  Rings, main and rod bearings, oil
pump, gasket sets, front and rear seals, valve springs, pushrods, lifters,
and yes a Piper reground cam (waiting as well for answers to the latest
dilemma discussed on this list).  I was able to procure a NOS crank
locally.  Sent the head to skim to 9:1, guides, and valve job.
Assembly went well.  Fired up Friday night very late.  Returned Saturday to
discover three inch puddle beneath engine plate.  Whoa.  Rear seal leaking?
What a nightmare!  Jump in and take for a quick drive.  Just had to.  When
I returned, it was obviously leaking-dripping in fact.
As I stated, my ability is limited.  A friend provided the necessary
expertise.  He was not there Saturday.  Upon giving him the news he did not
seem surprised.  He believes the seal needs to mate to the crank with use
and that any additional leaks will disappear when the 30 weight non
detergent oil is replaced with standard motor oil.
Please comment on the last sentence of the last paragraph and not on the
first sentence of the last paragraph.
Thanks,
Ashley