Gearbox problem?

To: "Triumph 6 pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gearbox problem?
From: "John North" <jnorth@novagate.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:33:57 -0400
Just bought a 76 TR6.   Sweet car, I love it.   I had a Spitfire several
years ago, which was all I ould afford at the time.   But this car is a
thrill.   It had an engine rebuild and new clutch 4 years ago, but sat in a
showroom since then.

Something unnoticed in the inspection... Got a problem with gear
selection...   Engine cold, easy start, no problem.   Engine warm (not so
easy start, but that's another story), gear select problem.   I cannot
select any gear -1 2,3,4 R, no good.   Let off the clutch reselect a gear,
still won't go.   Maybe after a couple more clutch engage-disengage I can
bang it into reverse (ouch).   At this point, it seems that the clutch is
not fully disengaged, because the car starts moving even before I engage the
clutch.   After I got reverse, clutch is smooth, first is no problem and
we're off.   No problem in normal driving, all gears smooth and easy

Any clues where to start?

John North