RE: ROUGH running with LUCAS INJECTION - Solved

To: <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Subject: RE: ROUGH running with LUCAS INJECTION - Solved
From: "Glen Johnson" <glen@littledevil.com.au>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 22:20:30 +1000
My problem is solved.  Thankyou to all who offered help and ideas.

I am not sure exactly why it is o.k. but I can tell you what I did.

I let the car sit overnight.  I removed the plugs and cleaned them all
(soaked them in petrol and then gently wire brushed them).  I re-gapped the
plugs.  I swapped the order of the plugs after having previously noted which
were black which were normal and which were part rich.  I placed the prev.
black plugs in where the cleanest ones came from and the cleanest where the
blackest came from etc. etc.

After that I fired it up and it's been fine ever since.  I've had it out for
a run around the city and on the highway - about 30km or so and it's just
like old times.

I can only assume that the plugs in cyl 5*6 were so fouled that they just
weren't firing very often or very well.

Specifically I guess that after letting the car sit for 4-5 weeks with no
fuel and then putting in some old fuel of questionable origin that I ended
up fouling the plugs really badly after trying to start it after it's long
rest.  I also guess that with the fresh new premium fuel I put in that the
high energy ignition system still didn't have what it took to fire those
plugs reliably enough to clean out the fouled up shit.

The future will be interesting from here as I am keen to find out if plugs
in cyl 5&6 will go black again after a bit more driving.

Glen Johnson
---