traling arms continued

To: "6pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: traling arms continued
From: Andrew Packard <apackard@triad.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 22:11:09 -0400
Tonight was an historic evening.  Not only did I receive my Heritage Motor
certificate on my car, (made June 22, 1968, shipped July 3, 1968, My birthday,
July 3, 1968) but I was actually going to be putting parts back on my car
instead of always taking them off.
If you recall from my last episode, I had used fire to help remove the trailing
arm bushings.  After using a wire wheel and my drill to  clean out the crud in
the mount holes, I pressed in the new, two-halves polyurethane bushings and
inserted the metal sleeve.  I then squeezed the mounting points into the
brackets, and tightened the mounting bolts to the appropriate ft lbs.  In
tightening the mounting bolts, I squeezed the brackets against the sleeve
without compressing the poly-u bushings at all.  The trailing arm moved easily
up and down with minimal resistance.

Is this correct or do I need to shorten the metal sleeves so that the brackets
compress the bushings?  I think what I did is correct, but I just expected a
limited range of motion in the trailing arms with the tension appropriately
torqued.  Please help so I can continue to put parts back on.  I have a freshly
painted differential (black front, aluminium cover) that will look great
mounted on my nice, clean frame.

Andy
CD6521L