Re: Tube Type Radial Michelins

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tube Type Radial Michelins
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 15:32:08 -0700 (PDT)
As I understand it, there only two things that would require that you
run tubes on your wheels:

1) Your tires are ancient and were made back when tires required tubes.
 It's probably a good idea to get your tires replaced, because they are
now obselete and probably dangerous.

2) You've got wire wheels.  Wire wheels won't hold air because of the
way the spokes meet the rim.

Gene, in your case, since you are installing alloy wheels, you don't
need tubes (unless for some reason you are fitting ancient tires).

Now, if you have wire wheels, you need tubes.  I was told by my
Goodyear dealer many years back that it is fine to run tubes with any
kind of radial tire, but perhaps this is incorrect.  The Michelin site
seems to infer that you can't run tubes on radial tires, but then
again, this is a website for aviation tires, not auto.  When I had wire
wheels, I used modern radial tires with tubes for several years and
never had a problem.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

http://tax.yahoo.com