Heater on/off valves

To: "6pack List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Heater on/off valves
From: "JPHaeg" <haeg1@mninter.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:58:00 -0600
I noticed that I wasn't getting any heat late last fall, and became concerned
that the heater core was clogged.
After closer inspection, it turns out that the cable that pulls the lever on
the heater on/off valve was loose.

I tightened the cable down, but it doesn't work correctly. The valve opens
about 2/3 of the way, and it doesn't return to off position when the interior
knob is pushed back in.

My question: Is there some type of internal spring mechanism inside the heat
valve that opposes the pulled out cable, and aids in the process of returning
the heat valve back into the off position?
In other words, is my problem the valve?

If yes, is there a preferred source of these parts?

Thanks for any help,

John H. in Minneapolis